What is Daniel Fast?
Daniel did something unusual…
Daniel fast is modelled after what Old Testament Prophet Daniel did when he was forced to serve a pagan king.
He “resolved” not to eat choice food and wine but decided to eat only vegetables and water to maintain his standard and find clarity in his purpose during very pressured period of his time. It was certainly unusual decision. But…
Bible records that they looked much better and healthier than all others officers after 10 days of test period.
So what we will do…
We are not doing it just because Daniel did it. But in this sensual age, we believe intentionally selecting what we consume will certainly help us to re-orient our life style based on our deepest conviction and find clarity in our purpose.
So during Daniel fast, we will abstain from meat and wheat/rice, sugary desert, and media for 21 days. But before you say “no way”…
Good news is, since you are still eating vegetables (sweet potato and potatos are vegetables!) and water, you won’t feel as hungry compared to full fast and it has less impact on your daily routines.
What is the purpose of Daniel Fast?
Intimacy, Intimacy, Intimacy…
The purpose of Daniel fast is “intimacy” with God.
There are some “side effects” of losing weight, feeling healthier but ultimate goal is to deepen our relationship with God, through God’s Word and prayer.
Not a Tech Detox but…
Media fast is not just to get a 21 days of detox from technology, only to reengage with it the same way we did before.
Through the media fast, we actually seek to re-establish our relationship with technology and media.
It will give us an opportunity to find better way to use them for greater good of our soul, instead of getting enslaved and distracted by them.
You will realize how much time you actually had to do the things that you actually wanted to do based on your conviction and values.
What can I eat during the fasting?
- Fruit & Vegetables
- Eg. Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Lettuce, Kale, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Corn, etc…
- Water & Juice
What should I avoid eating?
- Meat & Fish
- Grains (Rice, Bread & Pasta)
- Dairy Products
- Sugar and sugary desert.
- Alcohol products
- Cigarette products
Which activities should I restrain during the fasting?
- Media (Games, TV, Movies, streaming service, etc…)
- Social Networking apps
We encourage you to replace the above activities with reading the Bible and Prayer.
What should I be doing?
- Set aside a definite time and place to pray.
- Seek the needy and help them by serving their needs.
- Set a Bible reading plan during Daniel Fast. (Search “New Through 30” in The Bible App Plan section)
- For study, choose CSB (Christian Standard Bible) version.
- For faster reading, choose NLT (New Living Translation) version.
What are other precautions?
- Examine your health closely and adjust your fasting accordingly.
- If you have a certain health condition, please consult with your doctor prior to fasting.
- It may be harmful to your health if you restrict too much carbohydrates and proteins from your diet.
- The purpose of the Daniel Fast is not to starve or suffer, but to focus on reading the Bible and praying to God.
Daniel Fast Prayer Note
If you want a daily companion guide for your daniel fast, we encourage you to purchase the prayer note.
Click here to purchase English Version. (Amazon)
”I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will certainly not carry out the desire of the flesh.”
Galatians 5:16 CSB